Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"Dr. No" Turns 50!

I really can't pin down when I fell in love with all things pop culture espionage. I remember watching James Bond movies on TV when I was a kid and things only went on from there.

So imagine my surprise to hear recently that Dr. No, the first film in the James Bond movie franchise (although not Ian Fleming's first James Bond book) was turning 50 this year. 50 years of Bond movies, six actors in the lead role (not counting "spoofs") and over 22 movies. It's quite a record.

But it isn't just Bond himself. What Dr. No kicked off would be an upswing in other books, movies, TV shows, and even comic books all dealing with spies and espionage and all, in one way or another, owing a tip of the hat to Mr. Bond.

So I thought what better way to celebrate 50 years of spies in pop culture than to take a look at some of these spiritual children of Bond. As such, I'm starting a series here over the course of the year (I hope) that I'm choosing to call......

[drumroll]

Children of a Lesser Bond

Tune in tomorrow for the first installment....

And don't worry, we'll spend a little time with Mr. Bond himself before the year is out....

In the meantime....

No comments:

Post a Comment