Monday, August 23, 2010

Chicago!

You may have noticed several days of silence on the blog front here. That was due to the fact that I was gone attending the Chicago Comic Con (formerly Wizard World Chicago Comic Convention).

I'm a con veteran of the Chicago show, having been going for the past eight or nine years as is the friend a go with... Codename: Greyhound Leader.

This year I thought I might sort of blog about the trip... with pictures.

As is usual, the trip begins from the southern part of Illinois, where I meet up with Greyhound Leader and he drives. From there it's a straight track north.... for five hours.

Five hours of mostly flat farmland....



Broken up by Springfield Lake... which is quite pretty but you don't get to see much of it as you speed by at 65 MPH...



This year there was an unexpected sight... I looked up to see this:



Once I figured out what I was looking at I gestured to Greyhound Leader and could only say: "Elephant butt!"

Not very eloquent but certainly descriptive. I still have NO idea what was going on here but it was, indeed, a large, fiberglass (I assume) replica of an elephant, on a trailer, being pulled behind a pick-up truck. There was no sign on the elephant, on the trailer or on the truck to give ANY idea what was going on...



It was just an elephant.

After that little curiosity it was more flat road and farmland until we look a break and ate some lunch at a nice little rest area... and Greyhound Leader joked about some kids playing in the brush along the playground area going home with a case of poison ivy...



Our trip having been hassle-free up to that point, of course once we got close to Chicago we got caught up in construction traffic and then an accident and then rush hour traffic in the suburbs. We finally arrived.... about two hours later than anticipated with the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center where we would be attending the con the next morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment