Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Getting Cook-y With It...

So, surprise, I actually like to cook.

Within reason.

I'm no gourmet and I generally don't like to cook anything that takes a long time to prepare. My two favorite appliances are my food processor and my slow cooker. If you ever see anything on my table that looks fancy and like I spent a lot of time on it likely it's a lie -- and by that I mean it LOOKS like I spent a lot of time on it but in actual fact it didn't take much to prepare at all.

All that being said, sometimes I experiment... and sometimes my experiments pan out.

Like tonight.

stuck with making a meal out of 'stuff I had in the freezer and refrigerator' I came up with the following. I'm calling it my Sloppy SandWHAT rather than a sloppy sandwich because... well, it's more a "what" than anything else. Keep in mind that all measurements given here are approximations because I just threw stuff in my skillet. Put in what looks right/tastes right for you.

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey
1/3 to 1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 to 1/3 cup diced celery
Onion flakes to taste or fresh diced onion to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 to 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Two 8 oz cans tomato sauce

Cook ground turkey thoroughly with onion and garlic
drain any remaining grease
Add carrots, celery and two cans of tomato sauce. Stir until well mixed.
Reduce heat and simmer mixture until carrots and celery are tender and until tomato sauce is reduced and mixture is thick and bubbly.
Add sugar (this reduces some of the tomato sauce's bitterness) and mix well. Might want to go easy on the sugar and keep taste testing to make sure you get the bitterness out but do not make the mixture too sweet.

Lightly toast whole wheat buns or rolls or bread product of your choice.

Serve mixture up on bread or rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment